Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Reading Diary B: Canterbury Tales

The second half of the Canterbury Tales unit. This has turned out to be one of my favorite units this semester! It's really great that there is such a variety within the unit itself. No two stories are really alike, and together they make the unit very well-rounded.

One of my favorites from the second half of the unit was Little Hugh. The story was a tragic one and left me feeling a little down, but I'm really glad I read it. The boy in this tale reminded me of the little boy in "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas." In both stories, the boys are innocent and pure, yet they both meet such tragic ends. It was interesting to see just how anti-Semetic the tale really was. I have never really read anything very anti-Semetic, so this was a fascinating glimpse into that world. I think that's also why the story sort of reminded me of a Holocaust story.


Another tale that I enjoyed reading was The Priest Who Learned to be a Philosopher. Scam artists have existed much longer than I ever realized, and their skill was highly honed even back then. Nowadays, with all of the advances in science and education, this kind of trickery would most likely not work, but for that age it was extremely clever! It took me a while to get used to the antagonist being referred to as a "canon" because I'm so used to that word having a different meaning. That kind of made me pause every time I came across it for about the first half of the story. Other than that, I thought the reading was very easy and entertaining.


No comments:

Post a Comment