Monday, April 6, 2015

Reading Diary A: English Fairy Tales

This week, I decided to read the English Fairy Tales. The tales were quite different than what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by all of them.

One thing that I noticed was that some of the tales were extremely gruesome. I guess I'm so used to reading fairy tales that have been tailored to suit the average modern child, so some of these had me taken aback. An example of this would be The Rose Tree. The story had a creepy kind of tone to it from the beginning, but I was very grossed out when I got to the part about the stepmother killing the little girl and feeding her heart and liver to the girl's father. I would have loved to not have read that part, especially since it sort of ruined my appetite. The story did have a good plot, though, because I couldn't predict what would happen next like I usually can.


Binnorie was also intense and proved that love triangles never work out too well. The love story was tragic, and the sister killing her younger sister was kind of to be expected in a story such as this. What I didn't expect, though, was the harpist making a harp out of her breast-bone and hair. There was a certain tragic charm to the harp singing about her death and everything, but I wish that could have been altered in some way. I guess I just don't do well with gruesome tales. The more lighthearted ones, however, I enjoyed very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment