Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Reading Diary A: Dante's Inferno

This week, I chose the Dante's Inferno unit. I have wanted to read the tale for the longest time, but the length and difficult wording was always something that discouraged me. That, and the already humongous pile of books on my bedside table. I was excited to see that this was one of the options offered, and I dove in.

The rich descriptions were some of the first things I noticed. This is particularly apparent in the first story, Dante and Virgil. Right away, I was captivated by the poetic writing. Even though it was translated into modern English prose, I think that the translator did a wonderful job making sure that the poetic nature of the tale was maintained throughout the work. The description of Virgil by Dante was extremely rewarding to read. Dante introduced Virgil so very generously and made him come into the story seamlessly.

I also have to say that all of the illustrations in this unit have made the reading so much more enjoyable. I like how detailed and otherworldly all of the images are. I particularly liked the image from The Gate of Hell and Charon because it helped me envision the scene so much more fully. The writing on the entrance that was described in the writing appeared in a fairy tale-like way in the illustration, and I thought that made the story so much more otherworldly than it already is. It also helps that the illustration is by William Blake, whom I have researched recently for my museum internship. I'm excited to keep reading this unit and seeing the story unfold further.

No comments:

Post a Comment