Monday, April 20, 2015

Famous Last Words for Week 13

This week was a complete blur, and it took me a minute to remember what unit I even read this week. This week, I did Dante's Inferno, and it genuinely creeped me out. However, the essay I wrote over justice in tale was easy to write considering Hell is a place where sinners go to pay for the sins they committed on earth. Divine Justice is the central theme in the unit, so writing about justice was a breeze. Lately, I've been focusing more and more on justice in the stories I've read, and it's been interesting to see how different time periods and cultures dealt with the concept. I've noticed that a lot of tales from the distant past make it a point to show that justice goes along closely with revenge, which is something I find interesting because in other instances, such as examples from the New Testament, justice is something that people allow God to deal with. Dante's Inferno seemed to mix divine justice with personal revenge, as in the case of Count Ugolino, who got to spend eternity eating the man that starved him to death.

Voting for the best Storybooks and Portfolios this week was so difficult! Everyone has put so much time and effort into their projects, and I felt like everyone did an equally awesome job. It's been so nice seeing people use their creative talents to create such diverse projects. Here I am, having a hard time thinking of storytelling ideas sometimes, and there are people in the class that hit the mark week after week with some solid storytelling.

Today was the anniversary of the bombing in Oklahoma City. I happened to be downtown today for one of my internships, and I saw so many people interacting with one another and the memorial itself. It's heartwarming to live in such a close and strong community.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was a very busy week for you. I know how you feel with the end of the semester coming up it seems like it is a mad rush to get everything done. Also I really like the pic of the memorial you put up, I remember when it happened so long ago and I have lived in the area for a while now and have had a chance to go see it and everytime I do I am reminded of how sad and tragic that day was, but I am also reminded how strong people are for each other. Your post reminded me of that when you were talking about seeing people interact on the 20 yr anniversary. Great post.

    ReplyDelete