Thursday, April 30, 2015

Portfolio Guide

The Real Story Behind Sindbad's Third Voyage: This tale was inspired by The Voyages of Sindbad and is based off of the Third Voyage, where Sindbad and his crew deal with a man-eating giant.

Saint Pelagien: This story is inspired by the tale of the same name in the Women Saints. The tale revolves around a woman's decision to disguise herself as a man in order to become a monk.

The Little Jackal's Nightmare: This tale is a spin on a tale from African Stories (Lang). In the original, the animals must keep the tricky jackal from drinking from their well.

The Power of Song: The original story tells of an unfortunate event involving a little boy and his untimely singing. I chose to put a spin on the story, making it more positive. The tale comes from the Canterbury Tales.

Woodpeckers Exposed: The original story comes from the Tejas Legends unit and tells the story of how the woodpeckers came to be. My take on the story involves a different fate for the troubled tribe and their children.

3 comments:

  1. Tatyana- I adore the story of Saint Pelagien so I was elated when I saw that you chose to use it for your portfolio. I really liked that you wrote from the view of the abbot. It added a great element of surprise that really made the story interesting. Your writing was really quite appropriate and all the added descriptions and particular words you used were appropriate to the time period. There was a few spelling and grammatical errors (just a couple), so you may want to read through it one more time for safety’s sake. Your paragraph breaks make sense and help the story flow more smoothly. Your website is simple and easy to navigate. The font stands out against the background and is easy to read. The image you chose to use was very fitting and added a nice element to the story. I cannot wait to read more of your stories. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your storytelling post from week three, Saint Pelagien. This storytelling post was very interesting! For starters I really like your voabulary and your syntax You utilized both to keep your story very strict in line which went well with the content and themes. I like that you didn’t try to make it too flourished or overcompensate with some kind of other literary device. I think the decisions you made all came together to make your story a successful piece as a whole. I also appreciated the Author’s Note at the end. It was very informative and let your reader know where your themes came from and gave a good amount of insight to the original piece of literature. Overall, I think you did a really good job with this one, I wouldn’t change anything about it as far as style or creativity are concerned. I look forward to reading more of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Real Story Behind Sinbad’s Third Journey is a good story! I was NOT expecting the human food aspect in the beginning. I thought it was funny that he sees them/us as a sort of “birthday” present and a “cheat” meal LOL I tried being a vegetarian once and lasted about two weeks, but when reading this story it makes you think what is our food thinking when we kill it. That’s a vicious mental cycle to get into …

    Saint Pelagien is a great story too and I love the pictures you used! That poor nun and poor Pelagien! The ending was such a surprise though!!! I did NOT see that coming at all. That’s a good lesson to never judge a book by it’s cover!

    The Little Jackal’s Nightmare was so sad and so sweet! I like how you turned the character of the Jackal from a jerk into a poor misunderstood child. It really makes you feel sorry for him :(

    ReplyDelete