Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reading Diary A: Canterbury Tales

This week, I decided to go with the classic Canterbury Tales. I had always wanted to read them, but since I always have at least ten books on my bedside table, reading the tales was always pushed back. I really liked reading the tales in this format because I understood everything clearly and didn't get caught up on old vocabulary or language. I also thought the length of the tales was just right.


One of my favorite stories was The Promise of Dorigen. That was such a marvelous tale! It was so full of twists and turns and was told beautifully. I really admire the love of the fair lady and her knights. People always refer to weddings as "fairy tale" weddings and refer to true love in similar terms, and it totally makes sense after reading a tale like this. The character development was what really sucked me in. I felt so sad for the squire because of his unrequited love, but I also felt really sad for the damsel because I'm in a long distance relationship right now and know what it's like to really miss your significant other. I also really liked how honesty and justice prevailed and everything ended on a fair note. I just hoped that there would be some footnote at the end saying that Arelius had found true love, but sadly that was not the case. I also liked that the story was long enough to support such character development and plot twists. Depth of this kind would not have been possible had this tale been told on a single page.

No comments:

Post a Comment