Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Reading Diary A: Pacific Northwest

I chose the Pacific Northwest unit because I will be spending my Spring Break up in Oregon, and I'm so glad that I did! Right away, I knew I had made the right decision. I like the format of the stories, and they all are so entertaining!

One of my favorites is actually three tales in one: Three Coyote Stories. I was amused by the relationship of Coyote and Silver-Fox in the first story, because it reflected the dynamic of the two in the creation story at the beginning of this unit. For the second story in the Coyote series, I really liked the twists and turns of the story. It seemed throughout the tale that coyote wouldn't actually be the most cunning, but at the end, the coyote got something out of the deal after all! The third story about Coyote's death was just tragic. All he wanted to do was travel the world! I understand that he was somewhat of a controversial figure, but he wasn't all bad. I thought the Star could have at least warned him. I guess at least it wasn't a boring death...


I thought it was interesting that there are so many different creation stories in this unit! I enjoyed reading each one to see how they differed.

I have always had a fascination with totem poles, so reading The First Totem Pole was really neat! I have to admit, the story was a little complicated, and I really had to focus throughout the whole thing in order to remember all of the details, but I loved how intricate the tale was!

No comments:

Post a Comment