Monday, March 2, 2015

Reading Review Week

I have enjoyed all of the readings, but I think my favorite would have the be the unit on Sindbad's voyages. I liked that it was written in such a way that made it easy to understand, and I also thought the length of the stories was perfect. I think the hardest unit for me to read was the unit on Women Saints, and that was because of the language. It took a little while to feel comfortable reading through the material at my usual pace, but it wasn't too bad.


I realized that if I do my reading at the same time as writing my Reading Diary, I have a better grasp on what I want to say about the unit and how I feel about it. I usually do my readings and have the diary blog ready to go so I can jot down my ideas and then fine tune them before I publish the post.

I don't really use the Reading Diary to help me with the Storytelling, but that's because I usually point out how I feel and what I like about the unit, whereas for the Storytelling I just pick one specific story and zero in on it. I think using the Reading Diary might put too much information on the table at once.

I definitely think that the older Reading Diary entries help me recall useful information about previous units. I always like to point out what worked in the units, and reading that helps me recall everything that I enjoyed about the various stories.

I try to read a lot for pleasure, and I chose this class because I love reading mythology. This is a great way for me to learn about a lot of different material, and I think I've saved a bit of money by reading myths here instead of buying separate books. I don't deeply research anything for mythology, so having the UN-Textbook to read from is the perfect amount of information for me.

I think this class helps me see interesting things in my film class as well as my land art class. My film class is pretty much all old movies, so I like to notice what they have incorporated from mythology in each one. My land art class stresses knowing the background of the land, and that closely ties in with Native American mythology, so I will definitely see more overlap there in the future.

I think it would help students a lot to read a whole unit in one sitting, that way they are less stressed about reading and writing. I did that in the beginning and really enjoyed it. I like my strategy now, but I think I may go back to the first one.

3 comments:

  1. I did not read Sinbad's Voyages, but I wish I had gotten the opportunity. It is so hard for me to chose which unit to do each week, and reading these reviews have made me think again about the stories I haven't read! I agree that doing all the reading in one sitting might help students be less stressed. Still, sometimes it's nice for me to just read a few stories in between classes because I always have my laptop with me. Whenever I do the readings, it's always a nice change of pace for my homework!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of reading the whole unit in one sitting, I prefer to read half of the unit one day (for the Reading Diary A blog post) and then read the other half the next day. Personally, I feel like reading the whole unit at one time would be very time consuming as some of these units have 24 stories or more. However, to each their own! I can see where it would be beneficial to read all the stories at one time because you create an overall line of thinking about the unit as a whole that you might not get if your train of thought is broken for a day between readings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tatyana! I also really loved the Sinbad voyages unit. It was really fun to read. I think your reading strategy for doing the reading diary while you're reading the unit is great and it's one that I use myself. I find it's much easier to do the post if I'm jotting down things in a post as I go along and then edit it when I finish. I really love the image of Sinbad you used!

    ReplyDelete