Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Famous Last Words for Week 9

My best writing for week 9 was probably my Storytelling post. I tried something new with my story telling, and I'm surprised that it wasn't completely awful! Telling stories backwards is something that I've always thought was really interesting, so I decided to give it a shot. I'll have to practice more with that, so I might have more stories like that in this class in the future!

The stories I read this week were great. I like that the stories for this week involve so many animals. Whether it is animals doing the telling or just being the main focus of the stories, they are fun to read about. I think the reading units this week were very good at inspiring people to think outside the box and really create something they could be proud of.

Reading about buffalo and fish and whatnot this week was really neat because it once again connected to my History of Western Cinema class. Reading about the different tribes was interesting for the same reason. This class helps put things into perspective in my film class. I'm also in a philosophy class, and it's interesting to observe how people rationalized what they believed and whatnot and compare it to the thoughts of Greek philosophers as well as those that grew up in civilized areas.

This week has been super exciting for me because I'm in Oregon. What's even cooler is that I got to see Memaloose Island in person. The island is what my storytelling post was essentially over, and it was just so great to be able to see the place I had read about. That doesn't happen too often, especially because a lot of the units deal with mythology from different countries, so this was incredibly memorable for me. I was able to tell my boyfriend about the background of the island and teach him something about the history of the area that he grew up in!

(Personal photo of Memaloose Island)

2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    It is nice that you stepped outside of your comfort zone and found that you enjoyed it. Great job! I think many times that is the best way to do it. Just rip the band-aid off and keep it pushing. That probably was not the best analogy. I am glad that you are not only enjoying the class assignments but also enjoying the work of others. That is one thing that I appreciate about online courses. I like to see how everyone else is doing in class. It can be a motivator to keep striving for success. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tatyana,

    It's good to see that you are finding threads of meaning from the stories you're reading in the class, and then relating them to elements of everyday life.

    In your writing here, I did notice that you used the word "whatnot" twice in one paragraph. Aside from sounding slightly casual, I thought that the repetition weakened the explanation of your impressions of the story you were describing. Just something to keep in mind.

    On another note, the pic of Memaloose Island is great! It's neat that you knew about it already and were able to describe the history of the island to your boyfriend. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete