Monday, February 2, 2015

Reading Diary A: The Voyages of Sindbad

I chose this unit because I had heard about these tales often growing up but never got to read them. I'm so glad I chose this unit! I love tales involving lots of adventure, so this was the perfect pick for me. The Voyages of Sindbad are the incredible tales of the merchant Sindbad and all that he sees and experiences.

I loved how the setting and character were introduced in First Voyage. The story provided vivid imagery but didn't overdo it. I also enjoyed learning about the back story of Sindbad because it allowed me to connect more deeply with the character. The part about the island being a giant sleeping whale was so entertaining to me! I love how imaginative the story was from the very beginning. That was something that really pulled me in and made me want to continue reading.


The second voyage of Sindbad was even more incredible than the first, which was pleasantly surprising. In Second Voyage (cont'd), Sindbad explains how he escaped from the valley of the snakes. I again marveled at the imagination of the author because I wouldn't be able to think up something so incredible. Tying himself to a piece of meat so that eagles could get him out of the valley was so clever! Sindbad's ingenuity is inspiring. These stories focus on thinking outside the box, which is something I appreciate because I like seeing how different people solve problems. These tales, although crazy and tell of Sindbad being in danger, are nice because all of the people he interacts with end up treating him well, and he is kind to them in return. That aspect of the tales makes them heartwarming to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment