Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Reading Diary B: Twenty-Two Goblins

By the second half of the Twenty-Two Goblins unit, I was thoroughly annoyed with the fact that the goblin would magically go back to the tree upon which it was discovered after the king answered his riddles. I started feeling sorry for the king because of how much he had to walk in one night. I also admired the king for his patience and perseverance.

Some of the actions of the characters in the story I just did not understand. For example, in The General's Wife, the general burns himself alive because the king died from being love sick over the general's wife. Didn't the general offer his wife to the king? Why should the general die because the king wouldn't take his wife? It is explained that servants must protect the lives of their masters, but I didn't see how the general killing himself was him protecting his superior. I liked that the king explained his reasoning to the goblin, though, because it helped me understand what was going on in this particular story.

I really liked the story of The Four Brothers, namely for this quote: "No matter how carefully won and guarded, three things are fickle and bring sorrow at the last: evil friendships, a flirt, and money." That's such a great thought! I have liked all of the little bits of wisdom scattered throughout these stories. Although some points are harder to understand than others, I appreciate the lessons that the reader can learn from this unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment