Friday, February 6, 2015

Reading Diary B: The Voyages of Sindbad

The second part of The Voyages of Sindbad was even more incredible than the first! It started to frustrate me, though, how Sindbad would go on voyages still even though he knew that something bad would happen since it always did. I guess that's just the overly cautious side of me talking. My adventurous side thought all that he did was pretty great.

Fifth Voyage was a very interesting tale because there was so much going on. I was frustrated with the crew in the beginning when they stumbled upon a roc's egg and wanted to destroy it. The rocs had every right to throw those large rocks at the ship afterward, I thought. They were just protecting their young. The old man frustrated me with how he just would not let go. How did he survive when he wasn't being carried by someone? Sindbad's way of getting rid of the old man was brilliant. I thought it was kind of cute that Sindbad always got home safely and always had more treasure than he could carry.


Sindbad's Seventh and Last Voyage offered a good ending to the tales of his voyages. Initially, I was annoyed with the Caliph because Sindbad wished to just live out the rest of his life quietly in Bagdad. The Caliph must have had many people he could have sent on this voyage, but then it wouldn't turn out to be as amazing of a voyage as it was. I also wondered how Sindbad made it there safely since it was so close to the place where all ships are destroyed. The part with the elephants was interesting to read. I especially liked how they took him to the graveyard of elephants and that stopped the poaching for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment