Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Reading Diary A: Women Saints of the Golden Legend

This unit was interesting and challenging at the same time. The word usage was the most difficult aspect to grasp, but after the first two stories, the reading became much easier. There were some words in the stories that aren't used anymore, which I thought added a unique touch to each tale. For example, the word "impetre" in the legend Saint Mary of Egypt means to seek or beseech, and that is one word that I had never heard before. This unit definitely provides a learning experience.

In terms of favorite legends, basically the more outrageous the legend was, the more I enjoyed it. One of my favorites was Saint Margaret. In one version of the legend about her, she gets swallowed by a dragon but escapes by making the symbol of the cross. I thought that was the perfect material for a legend and made the saint seem even more legit.


Another legend I really enjoyed reading was the legend of Saint Christine. The amount of suffering that Saint Christine went through in the legend is incredible. As if having to the hatred of her loved ones wasn't enough, they were also trying to torture and kill her. Yet through all of her trials, she didn't give up her beliefs and stayed strong until the very end. This tale of perseverance through hardship is immensely inspiring. If Saint Christine could be beaten, set on fire, and strung with serpents, then I can suffer through my homework and workout regimen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment